There was great hype about iPad. Many were skeptical about this device before it became available. But not including me. There is a place for a such device in my life, I was thinking that it would be good to have something like iPhone with larger screen. Tablet PCs are too heavy, netbooks are inconvinient (I do not need a keyboard for such a device, there are laptops for this), iPhone screen is too small. So, iPad looked like what I need.
We recently purchased iPad for work (we are developing iPad version of MobileNoter). Here is what I felt when I got it in my hands:
- First impression. “Great screen!” (Trying to find MobileNoter in App Store)
- After 10 minutes of playing. “Hmmm it is quite heavy”
- After 5 minutes of walking with iPad in hands. “It would be great if iPad had a handle, like a frypan”
After using iPad a bit I can sum up my personal feelings. I tried to leave what everyone writes about it (yes, it is true that iPad is great for email, web etc…) and list what was kinda surprise for me after the real use.
1) It is heavier than it should be (for purposes it solves). It hard too hold it in one hand for more than 5 minutes (5 minutes is for me, I’m quite big man with strong hands :-)). Even if you base bottom edge of iPad on a table or on your knee, it is hard to hold it by one hand.
2) My 3-year daughter likes it more than me. It is a great toy you can play together with your children.
4) It is not practical for handwriting. Even with this large screen. I did not find it practical. Unfortunately. There are special pens that you can use instead of writing with your finger, but you also need to wear a glove as you palm will rest on the screen and will act as a second large pen (thanks to multitouch).
Do i like it. Yes, undoubtedly. Will I buy it? Not now. It seems there will be more tablets coming this year. I prefer to wait a bit and if there is no better choice, then I will get iPad.